Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife invites suitably qualified candidates to fill the Professor Akinkugbe Post-Doctoral Fellowship in Nephrology and Hypertension.
The person appointed shall be expected to:
- Engage in specific research projects with defined targets within the broad theme of
CKD and Hypertension related kidney disease. Such engagement could be in a significant component of either a new study or an ongoing study.
- Undertake teaching and mentoring as related to Nephrology and Hypertension;
- Produce a fundable research proposal, for further sustainability of the programme;
- The Fellow shall work collaboratively with colleagues in other relevant Departments as the study may involve/include Paediatrics, Community Medicine, Nutrition, Sociology, Clinical Pharmacology and Laboratory Medicine. The Fellowship will be hosted in the Renal Unit of the Department of Medicine.
- The Fellow shall be responsible to the Head, Department of Medicine.
- Successful applicants will be required to sign an undertaking/agreement that the grant will be acknowledged in any publication arising from the research and will be required to provide a report on completion of the Fellowship
The successful applicant to this position shall be called, “Professor Akinkugbe Post-Doctoral Fellow in Nephrology and Hypertension”, in the sense that he/she must have earned it by his/her scientific background and potential to develop a strong research career in Nephrology and Hypertension.
A candidate for the position must:
- Be an academic or researcher at a recognized Nigerian University.
- Be Lecturer 1/equivalent and above.
- Demonstrate interest in Nephrology and Hypertension, through research output.
- Present a completed ethically sound research proposal addressing critical health issues of
concern to the society in Nephrology and Hypertension (within the core Clinical Sciences and/or Social Medicine).
- Not be a staff of the Department of Medicine OAU/OAUTHC.
- EVALUATION CRITERIA
The applications will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- Applicant’s scientific background and potential to develop a strong research career in Nephrology and Hypertension.
- Uniqueness of the research idea.
- Clinical relevance or importance, especially to Nigeria.
- Clarity and appropriateness of the research plan.
- Expertise and capability of the investigator.
- Project Supervisor must be domiciled at Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife.
Each award will be up to a maximum of ₦2,000,000.
The package includes the following:
- Research Allowance (based on research proposed and may be up to (N 500,000.00);
- Monthly stipend (N224,567.53);
- Local transport and travelling Allowance; and
- Housing (Accommodation or allowance in lieu of official accommodation) maximum of N 150,000.00.
The Fellowship is for 4 months
- CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
As contained in “Obafemi Awolowo University Conditions of Service for Senior Staff”
- METHOD OF APPLICATION
- Curriculum Vitae.
- Motivation letter, not to exceed three (3) pages indicating:
- Applicant’s interest in the fellowship.
- The impact the Fellowship will have on their careers in Nephrology and Hypertension.
- Scientific merit of the proposed research project including originality of research question(s), and
- Well-elaborated statement on the policy relevance of the research in Nigeria.
- Two confidential reports (at least one must come from a faculty member with extensive knowledge of applicant’s academic history and performance.
- Evidence of application for or ethical approval of the research protocol by an
Approved Ethical Review Board.
- Summary of proposal including the following information:
- originality of research question(s); clarity and adequacy of the study design;
- demonstrate knowledge of relevant and current literature; detailed analysis plan; ethical considerations, etc.,
- describe the type(s) of experiments or other proposed work and the major
methods that will be used.
- describe the facilities and personnel required to conduct the study.
- provide a discussion of the data that is expected to be obtained and the means by which the data will be analysed and interpreted, i.e. the statistical methods.
Applicants should submit PDF format of complete application materials to kkole@ .edu.ng while ten (10) soft bound copies of same application materials and two (2) sealed referee reports marked “confidential” should be submitted.
The curriculum vitae should be according to the following format:
- Personal Data
- Full Name (Surname First)
- Date of Birth
- Contact Details including Email Address and Telephone Numbers
- State of Origin
- Permanent Home Address
- Marital Status
- Number of Children and their Ages
- Next of Kin
- Contact Details of Next of Kin
- Present Status
- Educational Background
- Work Experience with Dates
- Membership of Professional Bodies
- Professional Accomplishment
- Conferences, Seminars and Workshop Attended with Dates
- Current Research Activities
- Names and Addresses of Referees
- Signature and Date
- DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION
All applications should be forwarded to The Head, Department of Medicine, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Osun State not later than six (6) weeks from the date of publication of this advertisement.
MRS. MARGARET I. OMOSULE
Registrar and Secretary to Council.