Session 1: Thursday, 02/07/20 @ 10.00-11.30 AM (100 participants)
Meeting ID: 95293281311
Session 2: Thursday, 02/07/20 @ 2.00-3.30 PM (100 participants)
Link : https://zoom.us/j/94962580554?pwd=aWxyRFU4SWVmVXFIVEdtb2I3bzZDZz09
Meeting ID: 94962580554
Sponsor: ANS-OAU-DW Network
Grants, Fellowships, Innovations, Scholarships and Other Useful Academic News from the Central Office of Research (COR)
1. COR Website: https://cor.oauife.edu.ng.
3. Fellowships & Grants.
a. Future Leaders – African Independent Research (FLAIR) Fellowships
b. The Berlin Global Internship Project Internship Opportunities at the Berlin Global 2020 Application Link
4. Academic News from Abroad:
a. Ghana: University of Ghana Scientists Sequence Genomes of Novel Coronavirus
b. South Africa: Universities mull scenarios in bid to complete academic year.
c. Kenya: Mount Kenya University responds to Coronavirus through community engagement.
Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife invites suitably qualified candidates to fill the Professor Akinkugbe Post-Doctoral Fellowship in Nephrology and Hypertension.
The person appointed shall be expected to:
- Engage in specific research projects with defined targets within the broad theme of
CKD and Hypertension related kidney disease. Such engagement could be in a significant component of either a new study or an ongoing study.
- Undertake teaching and mentoring as related to Nephrology and Hypertension;
- Produce a fundable research proposal, for further sustainability of the programme;
- The Fellow shall work collaboratively with colleagues in other relevant Departments as the study may involve/include Paediatrics, Community Medicine, Nutrition, Sociology, Clinical Pharmacology and Laboratory Medicine. The Fellowship will be hosted in the Renal Unit of the Department of Medicine.
- The Fellow shall be responsible to the Head, Department of Medicine.
- Successful applicants will be required to sign an undertaking/agreement that the grant will be acknowledged in any publication arising from the research and will be required to provide a report on completion of the Fellowship
The successful applicant to this position shall be called, “Professor Akinkugbe Post-Doctoral Fellow in Nephrology and Hypertension”, in the sense that he/she must have earned it by his/her scientific background and potential to develop a strong research career in Nephrology and Hypertension.
A candidate for the position must:
- Be an academic or researcher at a recognized Nigerian University.
- Be Lecturer 1/equivalent and above.
- Demonstrate interest in Nephrology and Hypertension, through research output.
- Present a completed ethically sound research proposal addressing critical health issues of
concern to the society in Nephrology and Hypertension (within the core Clinical Sciences and/or Social Medicine).
- Not be a staff of the Department of Medicine OAU/OAUTHC.
- EVALUATION CRITERIA
The applications will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- Applicant’s scientific background and potential to develop a strong research career in Nephrology and Hypertension.
- Uniqueness of the research idea.
- Clinical relevance or importance, especially to Nigeria.
- Clarity and appropriateness of the research plan.
- Expertise and capability of the investigator.
- Project Supervisor must be domiciled at Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife.
Each award will be up to a maximum of ₦2,000,000.
The package includes the following:
- Research Allowance (based on research proposed and may be up to (N 500,000.00);
- Monthly stipend (N224,567.53);
- Local transport and travelling Allowance; and
- Housing (Accommodation or allowance in lieu of official accommodation) maximum of N 150,000.00.
The Fellowship is for 4 months
- CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
As contained in “Obafemi Awolowo University Conditions of Service for Senior Staff”
- METHOD OF APPLICATION
- Curriculum Vitae.
- Motivation letter, not to exceed three (3) pages indicating:
- Applicant’s interest in the fellowship.
- The impact the Fellowship will have on their careers in Nephrology and Hypertension.
- Scientific merit of the proposed research project including originality of research question(s), and
- Well-elaborated statement on the policy relevance of the research in Nigeria.
- Two confidential reports (at least one must come from a faculty member with extensive knowledge of applicant’s academic history and performance.
- Evidence of application for or ethical approval of the research protocol by an
Approved Ethical Review Board.
- Summary of proposal including the following information:
- originality of research question(s); clarity and adequacy of the study design;
- demonstrate knowledge of relevant and current literature; detailed analysis plan; ethical considerations, etc.,
- describe the type(s) of experiments or other proposed work and the major
methods that will be used.
- describe the facilities and personnel required to conduct the study.
- provide a discussion of the data that is expected to be obtained and the means by which the data will be analysed and interpreted, i.e. the statistical methods.
Applicants should submit PDF format of complete application materials to kkole@ .edu.ng while ten (10) soft bound copies of same application materials and two (2) sealed referee reports marked “confidential” should be submitted.
The curriculum vitae should be according to the following format:
- Personal Data
- Full Name (Surname First)
- Date of Birth
- Contact Details including Email Address and Telephone Numbers
- State of Origin
- Permanent Home Address
- Marital Status
- Number of Children and their Ages
- Next of Kin
- Contact Details of Next of Kin
- Present Status
- Educational Background
- Work Experience with Dates
- Membership of Professional Bodies
- Professional Accomplishment
- Conferences, Seminars and Workshop Attended with Dates
- Current Research Activities
- Names and Addresses of Referees
- Signature and Date
- DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION
All applications should be forwarded to The Head, Department of Medicine, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Osun State not later than six (6) weeks from the date of publication of this advertisement.
MRS. MARGARET I. OMOSULE
Registrar and Secretary to Council.
SPEECH DELIVERED BY IPTTO’S DIRECTOR; PROF. M. O. ILORI AT THE PRESENTATION OF PATENT CERTIFICATES BY THE VICE-CHANCELLOR PROF. E. O. OGUNBODEDE TO THE PATENTEES ON TUESDAY JANUARY 28TH, 2020 AT FLOOR O, OBAFEMI AWOLOWO UNIVERSITY, ILE-IFE.
I will like to start by congratulating the University Management for this great achievement that we are all celebrating today. The support of the University Management so far has made this possible.
The Intellectual Property and Technology Transfer Office (IPTTO), Obafemi Awolowo University is the Office responsible for managing the Intellectual Property Assets (IPAs) of the University. The Office is also meant to transfer the IPAs of the University to the industry and interested entrepreneurs for commercial exploitation. IPTTO has over the years been executing her mandate of generating IPAs for the University despite the challenge of not receiving any imprest or financial allocation to run the office for over one and a half years.
The Office has continued to be involved in Sensitization workshops and Seminars on IP matters in the University; Assisting researchers in filing and processing their Intellectual Property Rights (IPRs); Organizing training workshops and conferences to commemorate World IP day and Promoting the value of IP Assets generated from the university research activities.
In the recent past, ten Patent Certificates had been processed through IPTTO for researchers in the University. These certificates were presented by the Vice-Chancellor to the patentees. Today, we have an additional seven Patent Certificates and one Trademark Acceptance Letter, which will be presented to the recipients by the Vice-Chancellor. It gladness my heart that the sensitization activities of IPTTO within the OAU Community are yielding positive results. Researchers in OAU are now showing interest in getting Intellectual Property Rights (IPRs) for their research activities. Also, the collaborative relationship of OAUIPTTO with the Patents and Designs Registry for the processing of patens for researchers/inventors in Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) has been a success story so far.
IPTTO OAU has made tremendous progress in the area of obtaining IPAs for the University, despite the fact that the office still faces challenges in transferring these IPAs to the industry and entrepreneurs. To further encourage the generation of more Intellectual Property Rights (IPRs) in the University, IPTTO will like to advise the University Management to consider subsidizing or totally taking up the expenses for IPRs processing for researchers in the University. Obtaining patents is a great achievement that projects a good image of the University and also plays a significant role in facilitating University-Industry Linkages. To this end, I will like to plead with the University Management to kindly consider paying more attention to supporting IPTTO in terms of funding and employing more personnel in order to have more success stories in the area of Technology Transfer and IP Commercialization, which may serve as a sustainable channel of generating revenue for the University.
IPTTO is focused on continually projecting the good image of the university, through the promotion, protection, and management of IP Assets of the university. We will also not relent in our efforts to ensure these IP Assets are transferred to the industry for the benefit of all stakeholders. We believe with the continuous support of the university management, this vision shall be achieved.
1. Inventors: Olatunde Matthew AFOLABI and Dr. Surajudeen Olanrewaju OBAYOPO
Department: Mechanical Engineering
Title: Development of a Biogas Fired Dryer
2. Inventor: Dr. Oluwadare OGUNLADE
Department: Physiological Science
Title: Sex Prediction Electrocardiographic Appliance (SPEA)
3. Inventor: Prof. Anthony Adebolu ELUJOBA
Title: Jeddy Decoction: a pharmaceutically-composed herbal formulation for Jedijedi, a disease syndrome in Nigerian indigenous medicine
4. Inventor: Dr. Tunde Afolabi MORAKINYO
Department: Food Science and Technology
Title: A Multi-purpose Diesel-Fired Fire-in-tube Vertical Insulated Boiler
5. Inventor: Dr. Stella Mojisola ADEYEMO
Title: TIGER NUT YOGHURT_. Assessment of the Nutritional Quality of Lactic Acid Bacteria Fermentation of Tiger Nut (Cyperusesculentus)_milk for Yoghurt Production and its use as weaning food in infants
6. Inventors: Olufemi Bamidele DARAMOLA, Nkem TORIMIRO, and Samson Oluwagbemiga ALAYANDE
Department: Microbiology O.A.U, Ile-Ife, and First Technical University, Ibadan
Title: Green Synthesis of Silver Nanoparticles for Optical Detection of Escherichia coli
7. Inventor: Dr. Olufisayo Stephen BABALOLA
Department: Electronics and Electrical Engineering
Title: Community Theft Proof Power Captive System
8. Mark Owner: Victoria, O. Idowu.
Title: WeRecruitt Services
Service Class: Class 35; Basic No – 350068 – Personnel Recruitment
CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF PATENTS PROCESSED BY IPTTO FOR THE UNIVERSITY
The Translational Pharmacokinetic Research Group (TPRG), Faculty of Pharmacy, is pleased to invite you to an open special seminar. This is part of a one-week international pharmacometrics course with pre-registered early-career participants drawn from Ghana, Nigeria and South Africa. The course is being taught by Prof. Leon Aarons and Dr Kayode Ogungbenro (OAU alumnus) from the University of Manchester, and Dr. Paolo Denti and Mr Mahmoud Abdelwahab from the University of Cape Town. It is sponsored by Pharmacometrics Africa with funding from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. TPRG collaborates with and shares Pharmacometrics Africa's goal to build pharmacometrics capacity on the African continent.
Seminar Title: What Have Models Ever Done for You?
Date: Wednesday 13 November 2019
Time: 3 - 4 pm
Venue: Board Room (B312), Faculty of Pharmacy
Speaker: Professor Leon Aarons, University of Manchester, United Kingdom
About the Seminar: People involved in the drug development process are becoming increasingly aware of the importance of studying the pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamics of the drug in the population interest as soon as possible.In this seminar Prof. Aarons will discuss the advantages of using a modelling approach to analyse and interpret pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic data. Using some case studies, he will discuss some of the issues with modelling and how simple models in some cases are preferred to complex models. Finally he will show some examples where mixed effects modelling allows the interpretation of pharmacokinetic data where a model independent approach is not possible. This will be of great interest to anyone interested in drug development and clinical use, especially in the College of Health Sciences, the Faculty of Pharmacyand the Faculty of Science.
About the Speaker: Professor Leon Aarons is a Professor in Manchester Pharmacy School at the University of Manchester, UK. Following a postdoctoral fellowship at the School of Chemistry, University of Leeds, he went to Manchester in 1976. His major research interests lie in the area of pharmacokinetics. He has a general interest in the subject as a whole but has a special interest in data analysis and interpretation. He collaborates with members of the pharmacokinetic group in Manchester and also with other scientists in industry and academia throughout Europe. His current activities revolve around population pharmacokinetics. He is a member on various committees promoting research including the United Kingdom Pharmacokinetic Discussion Group and is a member of the management committee of COST B25. He is European Editor of the Journal of Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics and Executive Editor of the British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology.
This will be a great seminar and we look forward to seeing you.
Please find below important information in respect of the following:
1. NOTIFICATION DOCUMENT: TETFUND-NATIONAL-RESEARCH-FUND CONCEPT-NOTE-DETAILS-AND-FORMAT –
Click here to download Concept Note
Click here to download Concept Note Guideline .
2. SUBMISSION FORMAT: SOFT COPY (NEW FLASH DRIVE + EMAIL COPY) + HARD COPY (2 SETS)
4. SUBMISSION DEADLINE AT OAU TETFUND OFFICE: 12TH AUGUST, 2019.
5. OTHER USEFUL INFORMATION: https://www.tetfund.gov.ng
- 2020 Taiwan Research Grant Program and Fellowship for OAU Lecturers
- OAU Scholar wins AIMS awards research grant in Climate Change Science
- Consortium for Advanced Research Training in Africa (CARTA) Partners’ Forum and Funders meeting
- 2nd Ife summer institute: Oxford Don reiterates Quality Research, Publication