Call for Applications for the 2024-2025 Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching AssistantFebruary 9, 2023 2023-02-14 20:30
Call for Applications for the 2024-2025 Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant
The Public Affairs Section of the U.S. Consulate General in Lagos is pleased to announce the annual call for applications for the Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant (FLTA) program in Yoruba for the 2024/2025 academic year. The FLTA program is a nine-month non-degree program funded by the U.S. Department of State, Washington D.C., and administered by the Institute of International Education (IIE) in New York.
Application Opens: Monday, February 6, 2023
Application Deadline: Thursday, June 1, 2023.
The FLTA program is designed to offer young foreign teachers an opportunity to teach Yoruba language and culture to American students in universities and colleges. The program also gives an opportunity for participants to refine their teaching skills, increase their English language proficiency and extend their knowledge of the cultures and customs of the United States by engaging in non-degree studies while strengthening the instruction of foreign languages at U.S. colleges and universities. Becoming a participant carries with it a great responsibility. Along with their studies, participants teach language courses, supervise language labs and lead language table discussions. They may also act as resource persons in conversation groups, cultural representatives, attendants in language laboratories, coordinators of extra-curricular activities, guest speakers in civilization courses, head of language clubs, houses, tables and much more.
The grant covers the grantee’s round-trip airfare to the U.S., a settling-in allowance, monthly stipend, housing allowance, health insurance, and tuition scholarship for their coursework. Provisions will be made for participants to attend a Fulbright FLTA Summer Orientation in the United States prior to beginning their program. During the FLTA program, fellows are also invited to participate in special Fulbright enrichment seminar and conference for professional development and networking opportunity.
Note: The grant does not cover travel of family members; hence grantees will not be allowed to travel with spouse and children or relatives to the United States even at their own expense.
Field of Study
Competition is open to applicants who major in English Language, Education, Yoruba, Linguistics and Languages
To be qualified for this program
- Applicants must be citizens or nationals of Nigeria, or permanent residents holding a valid passport issued by the government of Nigeria. He or she must be residing in the country at the time of application
- Applicants must be graduates who have received their bachelor’s degrees in English language, Education, Linguistics, Yoruba and Languages
- Applicants must be current teachers of English Language or Yoruba in Nigerian secondary schools, colleges or universities. Proven years of teaching experience are mandatory
- Applicants must have a mastery of the Yoruba at an advanced level
- Applicants must have the endorsement of their employer
- Applicants must have an outstanding academic record and high level of English proficiency as demonstrated by a minimum score of 80 in the Internet Based TOEFL test.
- Applicants must have at least a credit in Yoruba language in WAEC/NECO
- Applicants must have an in-depth knowledge of Yoruba culture and current events in Nigeria. They must have sincere interest in teaching Yoruba language and culture to students in the U.S.
- Applicants must have leadership skills and the ability to motivate students in an emphatic manner
- Applicants must clearly demonstrate maturity, dependability, creativity, professionalism, flexibility, and a willingness to learn
- Applicants must be ready to become a cultural ambassador interested in meeting people and becoming part of community events and campus activities
- Applicants must have high motivation and a serious commitment to completing the program as scheduled and to returning home
- The FLTA program seeks applicants that have developed a sense of personal integrity and are original thinkers. Applicants that are found to have plagiarized in their application will be disqualified.
Application and Instructions
- The application and instructions can be found at : https://apply.iie.org/flta2024
- Applicants should log onto the website, enter an e-mail address, and create a password. Please remember this password because it will be used throughout the application process.
- Applicants are strongly advised to read the instructions preceding the application carefully.
- All applicants must fill out the application forms completely and attach their supporting documents online (3 letters of references, Curriculum Vitae, academic transcripts from each post-secondary institution attended and writing samples.)
- Essays should address the program goals and include future plans of teaching English language in Nigeria.
- Note: The Fulbright program is a popular program, the Public Affairs Section will ONLY NOTIFY SHOTRTLISTED CANDIDATES.
A complete application includes:
- An online application which includes:
- a clearly written objectives and motivations for applying (long essay)
- methodologies and techniques for teaching Yoruba language (short essay)
- sharing Yoruba culture by selecting a scenario with applicants unique ideas (short essay)
- Three letters of reference submitted electronically and attached to the online application by referees who know the applicants very well.
- Student copy of academic transcripts from each post-secondary institution attended should be scanned and attached to the online application.
- TOEFL score report.
- Biodata page of valid international passport (uploaded with application submitted online.)
Hard copies of official academic transcripts and other supplementary documents should be forwarded to our office by regular mail. Please address the envelope to:
Fulbright FLTA Program Officer, Public Affairs Section, U.S. Consulate General, 2 Walter Carrington Crescent, Victoria Island, Lagos.
For more information
- Please check the program website at https://ng.usembassy.gov/foreign-language-teaching-assistant-program-flta/
- For enquires email firstname.lastname@example.org